Subject: bug#70069: 30.0.50; kill-ring-deindent-mode kills too aggressively

From: Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2024 13:22:19 +0100

Hi,

I had been editing in some minibuffer prompt opened by some dired
command and was at the front of two words like "foo bar".  I was
successively killing using `kill-word' and yanked the text back at some
other place but got "foobar" with inner word whitespace removed.  Took a
while until I found this was because of `kill-ring-deindent-mode' I had
enabled.

I know why it did that, technically, but: this is too much, too
surprising.  As I user I wonder: I was not editing a program, and where
was indentation to remove here at all?

Please consider to restrict the cases when the deindent functionality
kicks in.  Restrict it to programming modes, turn the mode into a local
mode, restrict for successive kills when it's obvious that we remove
whitespace from the middle of a one-line text, such things.  That would
be my suggestion.  Currently, the mode causes nasty unwanted side
effects so people will have to turn it off although they like the
idea in general.

Thanks for reading,

Michael.