Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 3/8] gnu: chez-scheme: Reorganize package definitions.

From: Liliana Marie Prikler <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Apr 2024 17:40:25 +0200

Am Montag, dem 01.04.2024 um 02:51 -0400 schrieb Philip McGrath:
> A future commit will change 'chez-scheme' to inherit from
> 'chez-scheme-for-racket', so 'chez-scheme-for-racket' will need to be
> defined before 'chez-scheme'.  In an attempt to produce better diffs,
> this commit re-orders the definitions while keeping their contents
> exactly the same.
> 
> * gnu/packages/chez.scm (chez-scheme): Move below
> 'chez-scheme-for-racket'.
> (chez-scheme-bootstrap-bootfiles): Move below
> 'chez-scheme-for-racket-bootstrap-bootfiles'.
> 
> Change-Id: Ie088abea2b44329f9d8399fbfb95c51d8912b05e
> ---
I don't understand this direction.  Why have chez-scheme inherit from
chez-scheme-for-racket?  Even if Racket itself pins a particular
version instead of an upstream release (which, let's face it, would be
the wiser option here), or requires a special build (again, why?) I
think keeping the inheritance in the other direction makes ontological
sense moreso than whatever we're starting here.

Cheers