Subject: Re: [PATCH] gnu: Add mfem.

From: Andreas Enge <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2025 19:26:18 +0200

Hello Paul,

I have just come across this issue as being tagged for the science team.
Would you be interested in sending an updated patch? If yes, please cc me
so that we can work towards including it.

The size of the patches written by you is a bit intimidating. Byt maybe
some issues have been solved in the current release 4.7?

If not, it would be nice that for bugs in the source code, you either
use an available upstream patch (and add a comment to the top of the
patch on where it comes from), or submit a bug (maybe with your own
patch if you provide one).

Concerning changes required to the way Guix works, and which are not
bugs upstream, we usually prefer to handle them in a phase, for instance
with "substitute*". Also, not all of your changes seem necessary, for
instance
+-// The absolute path of the MFEM source prefix.
+-// #define MFEM_SOURCE_DIR "@MFEM_SOURCE_DIR@"
drops two lines that anyway are commented out.
And more generally, it might not be necessary to touch MFEM_SOURCE_DIR
at all; something to try out.

Thanks,

Andreas