Subject: bug#70054: 30.0.50; Unknown ids in References: break threading

From: Jose A Ortega Ruiz <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2024 03:24:03 +0100

Hi Eric,

Thanks for looking into this!

On Mon, Apr 22 2024, Eric Abrahamsen wrote:

[...]

> Can you tell me a little more about how you're accessing these messages,
> inside Gnus?

I am using nnmail.

I use fetchmail to fetch the messages from the imap server exposed by
ProtonMail's bridge, storing them in a local maildirs.

Then, I declare those maildirs in `mail-sources', and the messages are
read using Gnus's nnmail backend. That is, what Gnus ultimately uses is
nnmail with sources that happen to be a maildirs; imap is not involved.

Thus, elements in the mail-sources list have the form
(maildir "/home/jao/maildirs/foo").  Finally, although i don't think that
matters, a set of rules in `nnmail-split-fancy' tell Gnus to what nnmail
group each message belongs.

Cheers,
jao
-- 
We live on an island surrounded by a sea of ignorance. As our island
of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance. - John Wheeler