Subject: Re: bug#70054: 30.0.50; Unknown ids in References: break threading

From: Jose A Ortega Ruiz <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2024 12:35:07 +0100

On Sun, Apr 21 2024, Eric Abrahamsen wrote:

[...]

>>> Eric, any comments?
>
> This certainly does sound like a bug. This is a pretty complex part of
> Gnus, and it might take a while to track down. Jose, can you tell me
> your value of `gnus-build-sparse-threads'? I would think that, if Gnus
> *isn't* trying to build sparse threads, these unknown Message-IDs would
> simply be treated like messages that haven't been loaded into the
> Summary buffer, and ignored. Can you tell me your current value for that
> variable, and also if/how changing the value (particularly between 'more
> and 't) changes the behavior here?

Currently, I've got it set to nil. Setting it to t seems to almost
totally break the listing: there's some threading but it's displayed as
every single message being indented respect to the previous one most of
the time (i know from displaying those threads using notmuch that that's
not the case at all), and most messages have wrong dates and are marked
as cancelled or deleted when i try to access them the usual way
(e.g. with RET in the summary buffer). Maybe there's some conflict with
something cached, but it really seems to break hell loose :)

Thanks!
jao