Subject: bug#7004: 23.2; In fullscreen mode, the echo area takes too much vertical space

From: Jan Djärv <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2010 09:50:30 +0200

David De La Harpe Golden skrev 2010-09-11 02.10:

>
> I realise that the display engine is, um, a little involved, so mightn't be as
> easy to actually do as it is to say:
>
> So, Emacs has had proportional fonts and variable size fonts for a while, and
> has support for displaying only part of a character line, at least at the
> bottom edge of a pane [emacs: window] (not sure about the top). It also
> supports partial character display at the right/left edge of the pane.
>
> It's what emacs does right now in other situations - e.g. see the top bit of
> line ";;size14" in attached screenshpt, and also the partial "h" at the right
> end of lines ";;size12" and ";;size13".
>

Windows use code like this all over the place:

/* Return the frame y-position before which window W ends.
    This includes a mode line, if any.  */

#define WINDOW_BOTTOM_EDGE_Y(W) \
   (((WINDOW_MENU_BAR_P (W) || WINDOW_TOOL_BAR_P (W)) \
     ? 0 : FRAME_INTERNAL_BORDER_WIDTH (WINDOW_XFRAME (W))) \
    + WINDOW_BOTTOM_EDGE_LINE (W) * WINDOW_FRAME_LINE_HEIGHT (W))

i.e. pixels = lines * font height.  I guess that is what removing the line 
width/height retriction is about.  It is quite a big job and requires more 
insight in to the display engine than I have.  So it is much easier to say 
than to do.

	Jan D.