Subject: bug#7004: 23.2; In fullscreen mode, the echo area takes too much vertical space

From: Jan Djärv <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2010 09:37:43 +0200

Andreas Schwab skrev 2010-09-11 00.46:
> Jan Djärv<[email-masked]>  writes:
>
>> 10 sep 2010 kl. 18:59 skrev Andreas Schwab<[email-masked]>:
>>
>>> Jan Djärv<[email-masked]>  writes:
>>>
>>>> That doesn't matter.  When you say to the window manager to put Eamcs in
>>>> fullscreen, the height will be 1024 pixels (if that is what you have).
>>>> And there will be a remainder that is not zero.  What do you purpose Emacs
>>>> does with this extra space?  Even if we don't have any restrictions, we
>>>> can't display a line in this leftover space.
>>>
>>> It only requires pixel granularity for the window heights to be able to
>>> distribute the leftover space to the windows.
>>
>> That doesn't make sense. Distribute where?
>
> Just enlarge them, instead of the echo area.  What's so hard to
> understand that?
>

That is not precise enough.  Enlarge where?  At the top?  At the bottom? Half 
at the top, half at the bottom or some other ratio? Above the mode line? 
Below the mode line?

If we use at the top for example, that would look equally bad IMHO as the 
current situation.  Besides from more or less rewrite the display engine of 
course.

	Jan D.