Subject: bug#7004: 23.2; In fullscreen mode, the echo area takes too much vertical space

From: Dani Moncayo <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2011 23:01:37 +0100

Hi, Tassilo

On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 21:31, Tassilo Horn <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> Window manager hints are nothing special about emacs:
>

I didn't say the contrary. What I wanted to say is that (with my
approach) Emacs would have no need to tell the window manager the size
it wants. Conversely, Emacs would ask to the window manager the size
of the "client area", in order to organize the layout and draw the
frame inside it.

>
> I don't see what would be the benefit of your approach.  What's the
> value of being able to see half or quarter lines/columns?
>

Well, my approach is intended especially for situations in which the
GWindow is maximized or fullscreen. But maybe doesn't make much sense
when the GWindow has an arbitrary size. In such case, maybe it would
be better to resize a bit the GWindow (via hints, as you said), so
that no partial lines/columns are shown.

I don't feel very strongly about it. Indeed, sometimes I think that a
simpler solution would be to distribute the remnant space evenly
between top/bottom and left/right extremes of the "client area", so
that the emacs frame appears centered inside it.

Bye,

--
Dani Moncayo