Subject: Re: bug#70039: 30.0.50; list-packages install: Invalid read syntax: "#"

From: Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2024 12:51:07 +0100

Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]> writes:

> > the problem disappears.  This commit causes a destruction of my custom
> > file when it gets pp-filled, by adding newlines into #N# syntaxes, like
> > #1# => #1\n#.
>
> I pushed a patch to `master` which should fix this problem

Works for me, thanks.

> , but ... this is nasty.  I was thinking "how quickly one forgets how
> hard it is to parse backward" (thinking back to the time where I
> worked on `comment-backward`), but while testing I came across a
> similar problem that occurs because of the (forward) `scan-sexps`
> behavior, so it's even worse than that.

We call this a "wasps' nest" in Germany (of course using German words),
and I make this experience often.

Anyway, if you come along fixing Bug#24542, that would be - it would be
one more wasp less...

Michael.