Subject: bug#70012: shell-resync-dirs broken on windows

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2024 18:52:07 +0200

tags 70012 notabug wontfix
thanks

> From: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
> Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2024 12:25:13 -0400
> 
> Windows emacs 29.2
> Msys2 bash dirs returns something like "/c/foo" for "c:/foo" and (file-directory-p "/c/foo") returns nil even
> though "c:/foo" is a directory.
> Thus shell-resync-dirs goes into an infinite loop.

Sorry, the native Windows build of Emacs is not supposed to support
MSYS- or Cygwin-specific magic in file names.  We cannot support that
without significant complications in the low-level code, and even if
that code can be made to work, users are not supposed to give up
top-level directories named /x (where 'x' is a letter).

If you want these names supported, try the Cygwin or Cygw32 build
instead (but I'm not sure even those builds support /c/foo/bar file
names).

This is not a bug, and we should not even try fixing it.  IOW, using
MSYS Bash in shell buffers is not supported in the MS-Windows build.