Subject: Re: bug#7000: sort GNU coreutils 6.9.92.4-f088d-dirty

From: Sven Joachim <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 2010 19:00:38 +0200

On 2010-09-08 18:24 +0200, Eric Blake wrote:

> On 09/08/2010 07:34 AM, Zoltán Krajcsovics wrote:
>> coreutils version (from man page):
>> GNU coreutils 6.9.92.4-f088d-dirty
>
> That seems like a weird version - normally, the only people that
> should be running a -dirty version are those actually developing from
> coreutils.git; but since we have long since moved past 6.9, I'm
> assuming you got your coreutils pre-built as part of a distro.  Rather
> than relying on a possibly broken man page, what does 'sort --version'
> state? At any rate, you may want to report the broken man page to your
> distro, to get them to fix it to report a saner string.

He's running coreutils 6.10, I reported the weird version in the
manpages back in January 2008¹.  Probably it's not important enough for
distros to fix this.

Sven

¹ http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-coreutils/2008-01/msg00219.html