Subject: Re: bug#7000: sort GNU coreutils 6.9.92.4-f088d-dirty

From: Eric Blake <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 2010 10:24:32 -0600

On 09/08/2010 07:34 AM, Zoltán Krajcsovics wrote:
> coreutils version (from man page):
> GNU coreutils 6.9.92.4-f088d-dirty

That seems like a weird version - normally, the only people that should 
be running a -dirty version are those actually developing from 
coreutils.git; but since we have long since moved past 6.9, I'm assuming 
you got your coreutils pre-built as part of a distro.  Rather than 
relying on a possibly broken man page, what does 'sort --version' state? 
  At any rate, you may want to report the broken man page to your 
distro, to get them to fix it to report a saner string.

Meanwhile, the latest stable coreutils is 8.5, which fixes several real 
bugs in sort; or, if you use the current coreutils.git sources, you can 
use the new 'sort --debug' option which would give you some verbose 
hints about how your locale is affecting things.

-- 
Eric Blake   [email-masked]    +1-801-349-2682
Libvirt virtualization library http://libvirt.org