Subject: bug#69997: Should ‘guix import pypi’ get dependencies from pyproject files?

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2024 19:09:49 +0100

Hi,

Tanguy LE CARROUR <[email-masked]> skribis:

> Quoting Ludovic Courtès (2024-03-26 17:04:52)

[...]

>> But then I mean, we could offer, say, ‘guix import upstream https://…’,
>> and that thing could parse ‘setup.py’ or similar to produce a package
>> definition from that.
>
> I’m not against a good-old-generic-solution®, but this one might be
> a bit… too generic. It contains no mention to Python, so the next logical step
> would be `guix import URL`. Not that I would not like it, though! 😁

Well, this has been on my mind for a long time.  Such a tool could
provide at least a useful package skeleton even for software using CMake
or Autotools.

> So I would say… let’s wait and see what the others think. In the
> meantime, I’ll have to dive deeper in the PEP and the actual importer
> code.

Looks like consensus among you Pythonistas has yet to be reached
regarding whether ‘pyproject.toml’ data would be a useful addition.  :-)

We’ll see!

Ludo’.

PS: I hear more and more long-time Python developers dismayed by the sad
    state of packaging and code evolution in Python.  In Guile land, we
    say: refugees welcome!  Come discover a great language and a great
    community (together with their own set of problems).