Subject: Re: bug#69997: Should ‘guix import pypi’get dependencies from pyproject files?

From: Tanguy LE CARROUR <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2024 08:54:17 +0100

Hi Ludo’,

Quoting Ludovic Courtès (2024-03-25 12:06:51)
> Should ‘guix import pypi’ attempt to get dependency information from
> ‘pyproject.toml’, in addition to ‘requirements.txt’ and wheel ‘METADATA’
> as it already does?
> 
> It might be more complicated than we’d like: in some cases, that file
> seems to be used as a “trampoline” to Poetry.  For instance, in
> python-pypugjs, the ‘requires’ bit delegates everything to Poetry:

Short answer: no! 😁

I’m pretty sure you know everything that I’m about to write, but better
say it out loud…

For a "standard modern" project managed with Poetry, the Python source
package contains `PKG-INFO` and `pyproject.toml ` that both contain
the run time dependencies. The wheel package only contains `METADATA` that
lists the dependencies. The source only contains a `pyproject.toml`.
To make the installed package as small as possible, tests files and
uncompiled assets are not (should not be) included.
>From a Guix stand point, it’s better to build from source to be able to
run the test suite.

For the `python-pypugjs` you used as an example, we build from source,
so I guess the question does not arise. If we were to use the packages
available on PyPI, what I said above is *NOT* confirmed 😱:
- wheel (`.whl`) only contains `METADATA` with the dependencies; **BUT**
- source (`.tar.gz`) contains `PKG-INFO` (without dependency information),
  `pyproject.toml` (with dep’) and `setup.py` (also with dep’).

… "fun" fact, the information in `pyproject.toml` are **NOT** the same as
the one in `setup.py`!? 🤯 `pyproject.toml` says that `nose` is a run time
dependency (which it is not), but `setup.py` properly lists it in `tests_require`.

So, my answer would be: do not import from PyPI! Yes, I know, it’s radical! 😅
But if you have to, rely on the wheel’s `METADATA` file.

I hope this make sense. … I’m not really sure any more! 😅

Regards,

-- 
Tanguy