Subject: bug#69935: [PATCH] (help-fns-function-description-header): Print functions' type

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2024 17:14:40 -0400

> No objections, but IMO this should be in NEWS,

Good point, just added, thanks.

> and the button and its purpose should be described in the user manual
> (where we document "C-h f").

Hmm.. not sure where/how to add it there.  The current text doesn't
discuss/mention the other buttons (like the button to jump to the
source) and auxiliary information, so I'm not sure what you
were expecting.  My proposal would be something like the text below.
Is that the kind of thing you were thinking about?

[ Side note: I already pushed my proposed patch (without doc changes,
  obviously) accidentally when I pushed another change.
  Sorry 'bout that.  ]

        Stefan

diff --git a/doc/emacs/help.texi b/doc/emacs/help.texi
index 05457a3f34f..a6136ad6554 100644
--- a/doc/emacs/help.texi
+++ b/doc/emacs/help.texi
@@ -310,6 +310,12 @@ Name Help
 @kbd{C-h f} command if you don't really want to view the
 documentation.
 
+  The function's documentation displayed by @code{describe-function}
+includes more than just the documentation string and the signature of
+the function.  It also shows auxiliary information such as its type,
+the file where it was defined, whether it has been declared obsolete,
+etc...
+
 @vindex help-enable-symbol-autoload
   If you request help for an autoloaded function whose @code{autoload}
 form (@pxref{Autoload,,, elisp, The Emacs Lisp Reference Manual})