Subject: Re: bug#69934:

From: Stephen Berman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2024 09:18:23 +0100

On Thu, 21 Mar 2024 20:17:09 -0500 Robert Boyer <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Could some kind soul give me a line like the following, but one that
> includes 'auto-revert tail' and 'display-line'?
>
> ;;; -*- Mode: auto-revert -*-

The Emacs manual says (evaluate this sexp if you have the Info file
installed: (info "(emacs) Specifying File Variables")):

      Do not use the ‘mode’ keyword for minor modes.  To enable or disable
   a minor mode in a local variables list, use the ‘eval’ keyword with a
   Lisp expression that runs the mode command (*note Minor Modes::).  For
   example, the following local variables list enables ElDoc mode (*note
   Programming Language Doc::) by calling ‘eldoc-mode’ with no argument
   (calling it with an argument of 1 would do the same), and disables Font
   Lock mode (*note Font Lock::) by calling ‘font-lock-mode’ with an
   argument of −1.
   
        ;; Local Variables:
        ;; eval: (eldoc-mode)
        ;; eval: (font-lock-mode -1)
        ;; End:
   
   Note, however, that it is often a mistake to specify minor modes this
   way.  Minor modes represent individual user preferences, and it may be
   inappropriate to impose your preferences on another user who might edit
   the file.  If you wish to automatically enable or disable a minor mode
   in a situation-dependent way, it is often better to do it in a major
   mode hook (*note Hooks::).

So you could use this:

;; -*- eval: (auto-revert-mode); eval: (auto-revert-tail-mode); eval: (display-line-numbers-mode) -*-

> Thanks,
> Bob

Steve Berman