Subject: bug#6991: Please keep bytecode out of *Backtrace* buffers

From: Richard Stallman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2016 18:21:47 -0500

[[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider    ]]]
[[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,     ]]]
[[[ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example. ]]]

  > > Why not take the bytecode _entirely_ out of the backtrace buffer?
  > > Is it ever any use?

  > It can be disassembled, and may hold useful information that would
  > otherwise be missing.

That is no reason to put the bytecode in the backtrace by default.
We can make another way to get the bytecode when you really want that.

  > I think it might make sense to hide the bytecode with display
  > properties, but keep the text itself so that it's not lost when copied
  > to an email.

That might be a good approach.

-- 
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation (gnu.org, fsf.org)
Internet Hall-of-Famer (internethalloffame.org)
Skype: No way! See stallman.org/skype.html.