Subject: RFE: more dynamic df output format

From: Todd E Thomas <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 2010 10:17:45 -0500

Hey all,

This is not a bug as much as a request to make the df output more 
flexible/dynamic and readable.

Basically, there are two types of output now:
   *Historic representations of drives:

$ df
Filesystem           1K-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/hda2             15235072  10537884   3910808  73% /
/dev/hda6              2030736    310444   1615472  17% /var
/dev/hda5            454700584  26684920 404545504   7% /export
/dev/hda1               101086     21551     74316  23% /boot
tmpfs                   712740         0    712740   0% /dev/shm
---

   *And those with the same output field widths and longer names:

vault://share/linux  960301960 315005712 645296248  33% /mnt/linux
vault://share/fileshare
                      960301960 315005712 645296248  33% /mnt/fileshare
vault://share/Public 960301960 315005712 645296248  33% /mnt/public
vault://share/win    960301960 315005712 645296248  33% /mnt/win
vault://share/apps   960301960 315005712 645296248  33% /mnt/apps
vault://share/backup 960301960 315005712 645296248  33% /mnt/backup
vault://share/keep-forever
                      960301960 315005712 645296248  33% /mnt/keep
vault://share/builds 960301960 315005712 645296248  33% /mnt/builds
vault://share/Qdownload/training
                      960301960 315005712 645296248  33% /mnt/training

This is also true of volume group output:
$ df
Filesystem           1K-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/mapper/vg_power-lv_root
                       51606140   8271456  40713244  17% /
tmpfs                  2513156       808   2512348   1% /dev/shm
/dev/sda1               495844     64352    405892  14% /boot
/dev/mapper/vg_power-lv_home
                       94697324   8814368  81072616  10% /home
/dev/sdb1            480719056 166757848 289542008  37% /storage
---

The output could be cleaned up to look like this:
$ df
Filesystem                     1K-blocks       Used   Available  Use%   
Mounted on
/dev/mapper/vg_power-lv_root    51606140    8271456    40713244   17%   /
tmpfs                            2513156        808     2512348    1%   
/dev/shm
/dev/sda1                         495844      64352      405892   14%   
/boot
/dev/mapper/vg_power-lv_home    94697324    8814368    81072616   10%   
/home
/dev/sdb1                      480719056  166757848   289542008   37%   
/storage

Slightly more read-able.
---

Here's the requested 'stuff':

This output comes from a 64-bit CentOS 5.5 install with...

$ df --version
df (GNU coreutils) 5.97
Copyright (C) 2006 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This is free software.  You may redistribute copies of it under the terms of
the GNU General Public License <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>.
There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.

Written by Torbjorn Granlund, David MacKenzie, and Paul Eggert.

$ uname -m
x86_64

-- 
Thanks for the assist,

Todd E Thomas
"It's a frail music knits the world together."
-Robert Dana