Subject: bug#69895: closed (Re: bug#69895: Bug Report for GNU Parted Version 2.4.62-ce5e-dirty on VMware ESXi 7.0 Update 3)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2024 15:39:01 +0000

Your bug report

#69895: Bug Report for GNU Parted Version 2.4.62-ce5e-dirty on VMware ESXi 7.0 Update 3

which was filed against the parted package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
69895: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=69895
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#69895: Bug Report for GNU Parted Version 2.4.62-ce5e-dirty on VMware ESXi 7.0 Update 3
From: "Brian C. Lane" <[email-masked]>
To: pusp raj joshi <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2024 08:37:48 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

On Tue, Mar 19, 2024 at 12:38:14AM -0700, pusp raj joshi wrote:
> Dear GNU Parted Development Team,
> 
> I am writing to report a bug I encountered while using GNU Parted version
> 2.4.62-ce5e-dirty on a VMware ESXi 7.0 Update 3 system.
> 
> *Description of the Bug:* The *partedUtil* command does not open the
> */dev/disks* directory for writing and defaults to read-only mode.
> Moreover, it fails to determine the sector size, defaulting to 512 bytes,
> and ultimately cannot retrieve the device information for partition
> management operations.
> 
> *Command Executed:*
> 
> partedUtil get /vmfs/devices/disks/mpx.vmhba0:C0:T0:L0:8

Thanks for the detailed report, but I'm not sure what version of parted
this really is, or what changes have been made to it. There is no 'get'
command, even in version 2.4 which is quite old and unsupported at this
point. I suggest that you contact VMWare for support.

Brian

-- 
Brian C. Lane (PST8PDT) - weldr.io - lorax - parted - pykickstart

Subject: Bug Report for GNU Parted Version 2.4.62-ce5e-dirty on VMware ESXi 7.0 Update 3
From: pusp raj joshi <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2024 00:38:14 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Dear GNU Parted Development Team,

I am writing to report a bug I encountered while using GNU Parted version
2.4.62-ce5e-dirty on a VMware ESXi 7.0 Update 3 system.

*Description of the Bug:* The *partedUtil* command does not open the
*/dev/disks* directory for writing and defaults to read-only mode.
Moreover, it fails to determine the sector size, defaulting to 512 bytes,
and ultimately cannot retrieve the device information for partition
management operations.

*Command Executed:*

partedUtil get /vmfs/devices/disks/mpx.vmhba0:C0:T0:L0:8

*Error Message:*

*Warning:* Unable to open /dev/disks read-write (Is a directory).
/dev/disks has been opened read-only.

*Warning:* Could not determine sector size for /dev/disks: Function not
implemented. Using the default sector size (512). A bug has been detected
in GNU Parted. Please email a bug report to [email-masked] containing
at least the version (2.4.62-ce5e-dirty) and the following message: Unable
to determine the size of /dev/disks (Function not implemented). Unable to
get device /vmfs/devices/disks/

*Expected Behavior:* The *partedUtil* command should be able to access the
disk device, determine its sector size, and provide the partition table for
further disk management activities.

*Actual Behavior:* The utility fails to open the specified disk for
writing, cannot determine the sector size, and ultimately cannot manage the
device's partitions.

*Steps to Reproduce:*

   1. Log into VMware ESXi 7.0 Update 3 host via SSH.
   2. Run the above *partedUtil* command with appropriate disk identifier.

*Impact:* This issue prevents the expansion of the VMFS datastore on the
ESXi host, affecting storage management and potentially impacting the
deployment and management of virtual machines.

*Environment:*

   - VMware ESXi 7.0 Update 3
   - No connection to a vCenter Server
   - Uptime: 0.08 days

I have attached a screenshot of the error message for your reference. I
would be happy to provide any further information or logs that could assist
in diagnosing and fixing this issue.

Thank you for your attention to this matter. I look forward to a resolution.

Best regards,

Pusp Raj joshi

+977-9840046462

[email-masked]