Subject: Bug Report for GNU Parted Version 2.4.62-ce5e-dirty on VMware ESXi 7.0 Update 3

From: pusp raj joshi <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2024 00:38:14 -0700

Dear GNU Parted Development Team,

I am writing to report a bug I encountered while using GNU Parted version
2.4.62-ce5e-dirty on a VMware ESXi 7.0 Update 3 system.

*Description of the Bug:* The *partedUtil* command does not open the
*/dev/disks* directory for writing and defaults to read-only mode.
Moreover, it fails to determine the sector size, defaulting to 512 bytes,
and ultimately cannot retrieve the device information for partition
management operations.

*Command Executed:*

partedUtil get /vmfs/devices/disks/mpx.vmhba0:C0:T0:L0:8

*Error Message:*

*Warning:* Unable to open /dev/disks read-write (Is a directory).
/dev/disks has been opened read-only.

*Warning:* Could not determine sector size for /dev/disks: Function not
implemented. Using the default sector size (512). A bug has been detected
in GNU Parted. Please email a bug report to [email-masked] containing
at least the version (2.4.62-ce5e-dirty) and the following message: Unable
to determine the size of /dev/disks (Function not implemented). Unable to
get device /vmfs/devices/disks/

*Expected Behavior:* The *partedUtil* command should be able to access the
disk device, determine its sector size, and provide the partition table for
further disk management activities.

*Actual Behavior:* The utility fails to open the specified disk for
writing, cannot determine the sector size, and ultimately cannot manage the
device's partitions.

*Steps to Reproduce:*

   1. Log into VMware ESXi 7.0 Update 3 host via SSH.
   2. Run the above *partedUtil* command with appropriate disk identifier.

*Impact:* This issue prevents the expansion of the VMFS datastore on the
ESXi host, affecting storage management and potentially impacting the
deployment and management of virtual machines.

*Environment:*

   - VMware ESXi 7.0 Update 3
   - No connection to a vCenter Server
   - Uptime: 0.08 days

I have attached a screenshot of the error message for your reference. I
would be happy to provide any further information or logs that could assist
in diagnosing and fixing this issue.

Thank you for your attention to this matter. I look forward to a resolution.

Best regards,

Pusp Raj joshi

+977-9840046462

[email-masked]