Subject: bug#6987: 23.2; failure adding --group-directories-first to dired-listing-switches

From: Allan Gottlieb <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 05 Sep 2010 11:16:12 -0400

emacs -Q
(setq dired-listing-switches "--group-directories-first -l")
M-x dired

Although typing s in dired correctly alternates the sorting between
"by name" and "by date", the mode line always says "by date"

thanks for emacs,
allan gottlieb

In GNU Emacs 23.2.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.20.1)
 of 2010-07-08 on ajglap
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.10802000
configured using `configure  '--prefix=/usr' '--build=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu' '--host=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu' '--mandir=/usr/share/man' '--infodir=/usr/share/info' '--datadir=/usr/share' '--sysconfdir=/etc' '--localstatedir=/var/lib' '--libdir=/usr/lib64' '--program-suffix=-emacs-23' '--infodir=/usr/share/info/emacs-23' '--with-crt-dir=/usr/lib64' '--with-sound' '--with-x' '--with-gconf' '--with-toolkit-scroll-bars' '--with-gif' '--with-jpeg' '--with-png' '--with-rsvg' '--with-tiff' '--with-xpm' '--with-xft' '--without-libotf' '--without-m17n-flt' '--with-x-toolkit=gtk' '--without-hesiod' '--without-kerberos' '--without-kerberos5' '--with-gpm' '--with-dbus' 'build_alias=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu' 'host_alias=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu' 'CFLAGS=-march=native -O2 -pipe' 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O1''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: en_US.utf8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Article

Minor modes in effect:
  iswitchb-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
<backspace> h o SPC w o u l d SPC k n o w SPC f o r 
SPC s u r e . <return> <return> a l l a n SPC g o t 
t l i e b <return> C-c C-c n <select-window> <help-echo> 
<select-window> <help-echo> <select-window> <select-window> 
<select-window> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <select-window> <select-window> <down-mouse-5> 
<mouse-5> <down-mouse-5> <mouse-5> <double-down-mouse-5> 
<double-mouse-5> <triple-down-mouse-5> <triple-mouse-5> 
<triple-down-mouse-5> <triple-mouse-5> <down-mouse-4> 
<mouse-4> <double-down-mouse-4> <double-mouse-4> <triple-down-mouse-4> 
<triple-mouse-4> <triple-down-mouse-4> <triple-mouse-4> 
<triple-down-mouse-4> <triple-mouse-4> <help-echo> 
t <return> t <down-mouse-5> <mouse-5> <select-window> 
<help-echo> <select-window> <down-mouse-5> <mouse-5> 
<double-down-mouse-5> <double-mouse-5> <triple-down-mouse-5> 
<triple-mouse-5> <help-echo> <select-window> <help-echo> 
<select-window> <help-echo> <select-window> r <up> 
<up> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> 
<right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> 
<right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> 
<right> <right> a l l a n . <up> <up> <left> <left> 
<left> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left> 
<left> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left> 
<left> C-k U n s u b s c r i b e C-c C-c n E n n n 
n n n n n n k n n k k n n n n M-u <down> SPC n n n 
n n n n n n n n n n n p g , <return> n E SPC r C-c 
C-c n E q SPC n <up> <return> n n M-u q <down-mouse-1> 
<mouse-2> <help-echo> <help-echo> <select-window> <select-window> 
<select-window> <help-echo> <select-window> <help-echo> 
<select-window> <select-window> <help-echo> <select-window> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> C-x d <return> C-u s <help-echo> 
<select-window> <help-echo> <select-window> <help-echo> 
<select-window> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-2> <select-window> 
<help-echo> <select-window> M-x s <help-echo> <select-window> 
<select-window> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-2> <select-window> 
<help-echo> <select-window> M-x s e n d - e m a c s 
- b <tab> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> r e p o r t <tab> 
b SPC <return>

Recent messages:
Fetching headers for nnml:emacs...done
Scoring...done
Generating summary...done
Expiring articles...done
No more unread newsgroups
Retrieving newsgroup: nnml:MAIL...
Fetching headers for nnml:MAIL...done
Generating summary...done
Auto-saving...done
dired-sort-toggle-or-edit: Command attempted to use minibuffer while in minibuffer

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow emacsbug w3m-form flow-fill newcomment flyspell ispell sort
gnus-cite smiley ansi-color gnus-async gnus-bcklg mail-extr parse-time
gnus-ml disp-table gnus-topic nndir nndoc byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile
nndraft nnmh nnml gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual
gnus-msg gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 epg-config mm-view smime dig nntp
gnus-cache gnus-sum nnoo gnus-group gnus-undo nnmail mail-source
format-spec gnus-start gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range message sendmail
ecomplete rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mailcap mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 qp ietf-drums
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader canlock sha1 hex-util hashcash gnus-win
server eldoc help-fns iswitchb gnus gnus-ems nnheader gnus-util netrc
time-date mail-utils mm-util mail-prsvr cus-start cus-load ajg-nroff
ajg-sgml ehelp electric dired-x dired-aux ajg-gnus rolo ajg-printer
ajg-w3m ajg-courses w3m browse-url doc-view jka-compr dired regexp-opt
image-mode timezone w3m-hist w3m-fb w3m-ems w3m-ccl ccl w3m-favicon
w3m-image w3m-proc w3m-util ajg-filling ajg-fonts color-theme easymenu
wid-edit cl cl-19 edmacro kmacro site-gentoo w3m-load tooltip ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd font-setting tool-bar dnd
fontset image fringe lisp-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer
select scroll-bar mldrag mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu
font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan
thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev loaddefs button minibuffer faces
cus-face files text-properties overlay md5 base64 format env code-pages
mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote
make-network-process dbusbind system-font-setting font-render-setting
gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)