Subject: bug#69833: 29.2; ERC 5.6-git: erc-dcc: Transmission of large (>500 MB) files hangs Emacs

From: "J.P." <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2024 10:15:14 -0700

Alcor <[email-masked]> writes:

> Yes, I can confirm the solution from that ticket (#54458) works. Using
> "/dcc get -t", no problems are observed. Emacs remains responsive, and
> the CPU usage during the transfer is slightly lower, too.
>
> From what I understood, this is more of sender-specific issue, which is
> well-known. Let me know if a reproducible example is still needed, I can
> arrange something and send it off-list if necessary.

It may be worth looking into if you think we can somehow devine on the
fly whether the server's using turbo. Otherwise, I guess users will just
have to try both. Perhaps we should say something to that effect in the
doc string or the library ;;; Commentary? (Unfortunatly, ERC doesn't yet
have sections for individual modules in its documentation.)

> PS: Sorry for the noise, I did a debbugs search for "erc dcc" beforehand
> but it yielded no results.

Yeah, I haven't managed to make debbugs do my bidding either, so I just
download all the articles and index them locally (but maybe that's a
sucker's move?).