Subject: Re: greetd-wlgreet-sway-session unable to login (Respawning term-tty1)

From: Franz Geffke <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2024 12:08:05 +0000

New information always turns up, the minute after you submit the report. Thanks 
to a kind soul, I also found the greeter logs:

```
00:02:17.018 [INFO] [sway/commands.c:261] Handling command 'exec 
"/gnu/store/w6ify3cx17hnq8wd6qf6swkwdj37l6wj-wlgreet-0.4.1/bin/wlgreet --config 
/gnu/store/73ay0x7ngh7zz34r50hvbin2csgj0dac-wlgreet.toml; 
/gnu/store/1kzi74isam7q5z8bsrm8h642hgx8pdq8-sway-1.9/bin/swaymsg exit"'
00:02:17.018 [DEBUG] [sway/commands/exec_always.c:58] Executing 
/gnu/store/w6ify3cx17hnq8wd6qf6swkwdj37l6wj-wlgreet-0.4.1/bin/wlgreet --config 
/gnu/store/73ay0x7ngh7zz34r50hvbin2csgj0dac-wlgreet.toml; 
/gnu/store/1kzi74isam7q5z8bsrm8h642hgx8pdq8-sway-1.9/bin/swaymsg exit
00:02:17.038 [DEBUG] [sway/commands/exec_always.c:111] Child process created 
with pid 929
00:02:17.039 [DEBUG] [sway/commands/exec_always.c:113] Recording workspace for 
process 929
00:02:17.041 [INFO] [sway/server.c:396] Running compositor on wayland display 
'wayland-1'
00:02:17.044 [ERROR] [wlr] [libseat] [libseat/backend/logind.c:83] Ping failed: 
org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Method call timed out
00:02:17.047 [ERROR] [wlr] [libseat] [libseat/backend/logind.c:83] Ping failed: 
org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Method call timed out
00:02:17.050 [DEBUG] [wlr] [render/swapchain.c:106] Allocating new swapchain buffer
00:02:17.061 [DEBUG] [wlr] [render/allocator/drm_dumb.c:106] Allocated 1280x800 
DRM dumb buffer
00:02:17.063 [DEBUG] [wlr] [render/pixman/renderer.c:152] Created pixman buffer 
1280x800
00:02:17.390 [DEBUG] [wlr] [types/wlr_compositor.c:692] New wlr_surface 0x72e830 
(res 0x6d1730)
00:02:17.392 [DEBUG] [wlr] [types/wlr_layer_shell_v1.c:458] new layer_surface 
0x6ab630 (res 0x6d28f0)
00:02:17.393 [DEBUG] [sway/desktop/layer_shell.c:646] new layer surface: 
namespace  layer 3 anchor 0 size 1x1 margin 0,0,0,0,
thread 'main' panicked at src/app.rs:473:48:
internal error: entered unreachable code
note: run with `RUST_BACKTRACE=1` environment variable to display a backtrace
[wayland-client error] A handler for wl_surface panicked.
00:02:17.425 [DEBUG] [sway/desktop/layer_shell.c:386] Layer surface destroyed ()
00:02:17.446 [DEBUG] [sway/ipc-server.c:197] New client: fd 33
00:02:17.448 [INFO] [sway/commands.c:261] Handling command 'exit'
00:02:17.451 [INFO] [sway/main.c:418] Shutting down sway
```

This is on:
- Libre kernel
- using logind
- Sway 1.9

Apparently this is a known issue: 
https://lists.sr.ht/~kennylevinsen/greetd/%3CCZEH2PTZ98MU.3UTOFBLK0R755%40pwned.life%3E

Reverting Sway to 1.8.1 works.