Subject: 30.0.50; Texinfo warning: @anchor/@footnote on @item line

From: "Basil L. Contovounesios" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2024 10:28:35 +0100

Severity: minor

I think it's since upgrading to the following Texinfo version:

  $ makeinfo --version
  texi2any (GNU texinfo) 7.1

that I've been seeing the following warnings when building misc manuals:

  cc-mode.texi:838: warning: @footnote should not appear on @item line
  cc-mode.texi:1224: warning: @footnote should not appear on @item line
  cc-mode.texi:1229: warning: @footnote should not appear on @item line
  cc-mode.texi:1572: warning: @footnote should not appear on @item line

  org.texi:15658: warning: @anchor should not appear on @item line
  org.texi:15671: warning: @anchor should not appear on @item line

Is this a Texinfo bug, or am I / are we doing something wrong?

I'm confused because:

0. No warnings appear for cc-mode.texi lines 2336 and 2347.

1. "(texinfo) Footnote Commands" says:

        Footnotes cannot be nested, and cannot appear in section headings of
     any kind or other "unusual" places.

        A final tip: footnotes in the argument of an ‘@item’ command for an
     ‘@table’ must be entirely on the same line as the ‘@item’ (as usual).

2. "(texinfo) @table" says:

     You may write as
     many lines of supporting text as you wish, even several paragraphs.  But
     only the text on the same line as the ‘@item’ will be placed in the
     first column (including any footnotes).

3. "(texinfo) Command Contexts" says:

        ‘@c’, ‘@comment’ and ‘@if ... @end if’ conditional commands may
     appear anywhere (except the conditionals must still be on lines by
     themselves).  ‘@caption’ and ‘@shortcaption’ may only appear in ‘@float’
     but may contain general text.  ‘@footnote’ content likewise.

        In addition to the above, sectioning commands cannot contain
     ‘@anchor’, ‘@footnote’ or ‘@verb’.

4. "(texinfo) @anchor" says:

        It is best to put ‘@anchor’ commands just before the position you
     wish to refer to; that way, the reader's eye is led on to the correct
     text when they jump to the anchor.

My reading of 1-3 is that @footnote is supported, or at least not
disallowed, on an @item line.

Based on 4, I tried the following change:

diff --git a/doc/misc/org.org b/doc/misc/org.org
index 05ab5b36ca0..f925edd4cfe 100644
--- a/doc/misc/org.org
+++ b/doc/misc/org.org
@@ -14936,7 +14936,7 @@ The ODT exporter relies on two files for generating its output.  These
 files are bundled with the distribution under the directory pointed to
 by the variable ~org-odt-styles-dir~.  The two files are:
 
-- =OrgOdtStyles.xml= <<x-orgodtstyles-xml>> ::
+- <<x-orgodtstyles-xml>> =OrgOdtStyles.xml= ::
 
   This file contributes to the =styles.xml= file of the final ODT
   document.  This file gets modified for the following purposes:

as well as the following:

diff --git a/doc/misc/org.org b/doc/misc/org.org
index 05ab5b36ca0..f35ab400276 100644
--- a/doc/misc/org.org
+++ b/doc/misc/org.org
@@ -14936,7 +14936,7 @@ The ODT exporter relies on two files for generating its output.  These
 files are bundled with the distribution under the directory pointed to
 by the variable ~org-odt-styles-dir~.  The two files are:
 
-- =OrgOdtStyles.xml= <<x-orgodtstyles-xml>> ::
+- <<x-orgodtstyles-xml>> OrgOdtStyles.xml ::
 
   This file contributes to the =styles.xml= file of the final ODT
   document.  This file gets modified for the following purposes:

but the warnings are still emitted.

Thoughts?  Does anyone else see these warnings?

Thanks,
-- 
Basil

In GNU Emacs 30.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, cairo
 version 1.18.0, Xaw3d scroll bars) of 2024-03-15 built on tia
Repository revision: 09ab66935154ea0cc4a351b8320bc0e9276b7780
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101011
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux trixie/sid

Configured using:
 'configure 'CFLAGS=-Og -ggdb3' -C --prefix=/home/blc/.local
 --enable-checking=structs --without-native-compilation
 --with-file-notification=yes --with-x-toolkit=lucid --with-x'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NOTIFY
INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER WEBP X11 XAW3D XDBE XIM XINPUT2 XPM
LUCID ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_IE.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  minibuffer-regexp-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg rfc6068
epg-config gnus-util text-property-search time-date subr-x mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
cl-loaddefs cl-lib sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util
mail-prsvr mail-utils rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel
term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd touch-screen tool-bar dnd fontset
image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode
lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch
easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify lcms2
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo x-toolkit
xinput2 x multi-tty move-toolbar make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 39481 8902) (symbols 48 5219 0) (strings 32 13384 2364)
 (string-bytes 1 314118) (vectors 16 9310)
 (vector-slots 8 110984 8170) (floats 8 23 25) (intervals 56 266 0)
 (buffers 984 10))