Subject: Re: bug#6980: Could goto-char please have its own history list?

From: Juri Linkov <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2021 10:51:08 +0200

>> I can't see no reason its history should be mixed by something else.
>> (More than devel historic reasons ;-)
>
> It makes sense to share the same history that contains only numeric
> values between all commands that use `read-number', like
> e.g. `goto-line' and `goto-char' (with some changes), because
> non-numeric values (added to the history from other commands)
> are useless for such number-reading commands.

Matt reminded about this request in
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2021-02/msg01270.html

Now `read-number' has own history in `read-number-history' added a year ago
in bug#38282.  The same commit 7c5d6a2afc6 also added `goto-line-history'
for `goto-line'.

So this request could be closed unless there is still a need to add
`goto-char-history' for `goto-char' too.  I'm not sure if
`read-number-history' is sufficient already, or own history should be added
to every number-reading command like `move-to-column', etc.