Subject: Re: bug#69762: X11 versions of Emacs 29 on sparc fail at startup

From: Alan Coopersmith <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2024 10:00:42 -0700

Ali asked me to look into this bug as one of the X11 maintainers for
Solaris, but I also am one of the upstream maintainers for X.Org.

On 3/17/24 04:54, Po Lu wrote:
> Whatever the conditions for the X server crash, please report it (or ask
> Rainier to do so) to the X.Org developers.  Between the recent deletion
> of support for byte-swapping and its developers transition to only
> assembling Xwayland releases, there is very little love remaining in
> that organization for the rank-and-file of X users, and every reminder
> of our existence counts towards restoring some of that lost dedication.

There's still some of us working to maintain X11 for X11 users (mostly
because Wayland isn't an option for our kernel).  Also note that byte
swapping was *not* deleted, just disabled by default and can be easily
re-enabled.   Which is important here, because the bugs Ali & Rainer
found are not SPARC-specific, but caused by them running emacs on a
SPARC and displaying it onto an x86 desktop, thus invoking the byte
swapping code where both the Xsync & Xinput2 bugs lie.

I've merged a fix upstream for the Xsync bug already, as it was quite
simple: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/xorg/xserver/-/merge_requests/1437/

The Xinput2 one is a little more involved and I'm working on getting it
fixed upstream now.

-- 
         -Alan Coopersmith-                 [email-masked]
          Oracle Solaris Engineering - https://blogs.oracle.com/solaris