Subject: bug#69762: X11 versions of Emacs 29 on sparc fail at startup

From: Po Lu <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2024 19:54:54 +0800

[email-masked] writes:

> Regarding recent versions, it's not known at this time.
> We only know that it works on Solaris 10, a 20 year old
> system that lacks XInput2, and does not work on the latest
> Solaris. Although it's possible that this worked on slightly
> older versions of Solaris/sparc, I haven't tested. My unverified
> hunch is that it's more likely that XInput2 never worked on
> sparc, and no one noticed until emacs 29 came along. If so,
> then this bug could go back a decade or so (google tells me
> XInput2 was proposed in 2012).

Whatever the conditions for the X server crash, please report it (or ask
Rainier to do so) to the X.Org developers.  Between the recent deletion
of support for byte-swapping and its developers transition to only
assembling Xwayland releases, there is very little love remaining in
that organization for the rank-and-file of X users, and every reminder
of our existence counts towards restoring some of that lost dedication.
If you catch my drift.

Thanks.