Subject: bug#69762: X11 versions of Emacs 29 on sparc fail at startup

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2024 19:38:14 -0600

On 3/16/24 5:14 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> I tried --without-xinput2 with the GTK version, and it does
>> indeed skirt the problem. I can now reliably run it without
>> crashing.
> Po Lu, please document in PROBLEMS that XInput2 has bugs on Solaris
> (probably only reecent versions?)

    We don't see this issue on Solaris/X86, and we did see
it on Debian/sparc. We won't really know until the issue is
root caused, but I'd say "on sparc" is probably more accurate
than "on Solaris".

Regarding recent versions, it's not known at this time.
We only know that it works on Solaris 10, a 20 year old
system that lacks XInput2, and does not work on the latest
Solaris. Although it's possible that this worked on slightly
older versions of Solaris/sparc, I haven't tested. My unverified
hunch is that it's more likely that XInput2 never worked on
sparc, and no one noticed until emacs 29 came along. If so,
then this bug could go back a decade or so (google tells me
XInput2 was proposed in 2012).

- Ali