Subject: bug#69762: X11 versions of Emacs 29 on sparc fail at startup

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2024 11:02:00 -0600

On 3/12/24 6:34 PM, Po Lu wrote:
> Emacs works fine on sparc64-sun-solaris2.10, but the difference is that
> the X libraries and servers installed there are ancient and predate the
> introduction of generic events or XInput 2.  The backtrace Rainer
> produced demonstrates that the client-side abort is consequent on the X
> server crashing as it attempts to respond to an XIGetSelectedEvents
> request, which is _always_ a bug in the X server, whatever the
> circumstances, and so I suggest redirecting your attention to X.Org, and
> building `--without-xinput2' in the meantime.

    Thank you, this is very helpful. I guess I'm not too surprised
that it works on Solaris 10. Your support of a 20 year old OS is
admirable.

I tried --without-xinput2 with the GTK version, and it does
indeed skirt the problem. I can now reliably run it without
crashing.

Since this all worked with 28.2, I guess that Emacs
started using XInput 2 features in the 29.1 branch?

Unfortunately, with the Lucid version, while --without-xinput2
seems to get past the failure I reported, there's now a different
failure:

     % src/emacs
     X protocol error: BadDrawable (invalid Pixmap or Window parameter) on protocol request 134
     Serial no: 1318

- Ali