Subject: bug#6974: Emacs doesn't like Swedish ä (on w32)

From: Jason Rumney <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 Sep 2010 09:44:37 +0800

On 03/09/2010 05:58, Lennart Borgman wrote:
> I have a file whose name contains the Swedish char ä (a with two dots
> above, 228 in latin-1).
>
> I have seen several strange things with this. Here are some I remember:
>
>
> I start from "emacs -Q". In an org-mode file I try to insert a link to
> this file with "C-c C-l file FILENAME".
>    
> * After M-x set-language-environment RET RET (i.e. "English") and then
> opening a new org file.
>
> Works nicely. Examining the char "ä" in the link in the org buffer
> gives as expected.
>    

OK, but what happens in the default case you tried above, before you 
started messing with the language environment?

> * After M-x set-language-environment RET utf-8 RET and then opening a
> new org file.
>    

Of course it is possible to break things by setting your language 
environment inappropriately. But what happens in the default case?