Subject: Re: bug#6974: Emacs doesn't like Swedish ä (on w32)

From: Lennart Borgman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2010 13:19:42 +0200

On Fri, Sep 3, 2010 at 10:08 AM, Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> From: Lennart Borgman <[email-masked]>
>> Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2010 23:58:04 +0200
>> Cc:
>>
>> * After M-x set-language-environment RET utf-8 RET and then opening a
>> new org file.
>>
>> When choosing the file the char "ä" is shown as \344. It looks the
>> same when inserted in the buffer as an org link to the file.
>
> set-language-environment changes the defaults for various
> coding-systems, including file-name-coding-system that's used for
> decoding file names.  On Windows, you should _never_ have
> file-name-coding-system different from the current codepage, because
> that's the only encoding of file names Emacs can currently support on
> Windows.  (The other one is UTF-16, which is how Windows encodes file
> names on the disk, but Emacs does not yet support that, because such
> support would need to switch all the file APIs to use wide
> characters.)

Using "M-x set-language-environment" was just a way to try to
reproduce the problem. I do not know how to do that otherwise. (I know
very little about coding systems.)

> So the question is: what is your value of file-name-coding-system,
> after you invoke set-language-environment?

It is nil both before and after "M-x set-language-environment".

But something clearly has changed, see what I wrote initially.