Subject: bug#6974: Emacs doesn't like Swedish ä (on w32)

From: Lennart Borgman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2010 23:58:04 +0200

I have a file whose name contains the Swedish char ä (a with two dots
above, 228 in latin-1).

I have seen several strange things with this. Here are some I remember:

I start from "emacs -Q". In an org-mode file I try to insert a link to
this file with "C-c C-l file FILENAME".

* After M-x set-language-environment RET RET (i.e. "English") and then
opening a new org file.

Works nicely. Examining the char "ä" in the link in the org buffer
gives as expected.

        character: ä (228, #o344, #xe4)
preferred charset: unicode-bmp
		   (Unicode Basic Multilingual Plane (U+0000..U+FFFF))
       code point: 0xE4
           syntax: w 	which means: word
         category: .:Base, j:Japanese, l:Latin
      buffer code: #xC3 #xA4
        file code: #xE4 (encoded by coding system iso-latin-1-dos)
          display: by this font (glyph code)
    uniscribe:-outline-Courier
New-normal-normal-normal-mono-13-*-*-*-c-*-iso8859-1 (#x6C)

In this case I can save the file as usual.

* After M-x set-language-environment RET utf-8 RET and then opening a
new org file.

When choosing the file the char "ä" is shown as \344. It looks the
same when inserted in the buffer as an org link to the file.

        character:   (4194276, #o17777744, #x3fffe4)
preferred charset: eight-bit (Raw bytes 128-255)
       code point: 0xE4
           syntax: w 	which means: word
      buffer code: #xE4
        file code: not encodable by coding system utf-8-dos
          display: no font available

After this I can not save the file (or rather Emacs prompts me for a
coding system).

I also saw that pasting the file name in some circumstances converts
the char "ä" (or was it \344) to a space. Unfortunately I do not
remember how that happened and I can not reproduce it now. (But I am
very sure it happened this morning.)

In GNU Emacs 24.0.50.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2010-08-10
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
configured using `configure --with-gcc (3.4) --no-opt --cflags
-Ic:/g/include -fno-crossjumping'