Subject: bug#6974: Emacs doesn't like Swedish ä (on w32)

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 Sep 2010 11:08:33 +0300

> From: Lennart Borgman <[email-masked]>
> Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2010 23:58:04 +0200
> Cc: 
> 
> * After M-x set-language-environment RET utf-8 RET and then opening a
> new org file.
> 
> When choosing the file the char "ä" is shown as \344. It looks the
> same when inserted in the buffer as an org link to the file.

set-language-environment changes the defaults for various
coding-systems, including file-name-coding-system that's used for
decoding file names.  On Windows, you should _never_ have
file-name-coding-system different from the current codepage, because
that's the only encoding of file names Emacs can currently support on
Windows.  (The other one is UTF-16, which is how Windows encodes file
names on the disk, but Emacs does not yet support that, because such
support would need to switch all the file APIs to use wide
characters.)

So the question is: what is your value of file-name-coding-system,
after you invoke set-language-environment?  If it's anything but your
current Windows codepage, set it back with "C-x RET F" (note: capital
F).