Subject: Re: bug#6974: Emacs doesn't like Swedish ä (on w32)

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 04 Sep 2010 11:16:32 +0300

> Date: Sat, 04 Sep 2010 09:30:55 +0200
> From: Andreas Röhler <[email-masked]>
> CC: [email-masked]
> 
> > Please post the file as an attachment.
> >
> 
> Attached.

Thanks.  Here's your culprit:

> > \240 (autoload 'muse-mode "muse-mode" "" t)

You have literal \240 characters in the file, which are invalid UTF-8
sequences.

This file has also other similar problems, like this one:

  Du kannst es nat\365\202\211\205\365\200\210\246\357\275\357\275\274rlich auch unter Linux ausprobieren, z.B.:

I believe the 4th word should have been "natűrlich", and the invalid
long byte sequence instead of ű (which Emacs decodes into some
Japanese Kanji character that cannot be encoded by UTF-8) is the
result of multiple saving of this file with incorrect encoding.

To fix all this corruption, I suggest the following steps:

  1) C-x RET c utf-8 RET C-x C-f befehle.txt RET

  2) M-: (unencodable-char-position (point) (point-max) 'utf-8) RET

  3) Go to the position shown by the previous command, and edit the
     file to replace invalid bytes with valid characters.

  4) Move point past the corrected portion.

  5) Go back to 2.  When unencodable-char-position returns nil, you
     are done; save the file.

I'm closing bug #6971 with this message, since there's no Emacs bug
here.