Subject: Re: bug#69693: 30.0.50; package-load-desciptor: End of file during parsing

From: Divya Ranjan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2024 08:14:54 +0000

Hello Michael,

Thanks a lot, indeed the directory for the variable `package-user-dir'
was the culprit. I cleaned it, and everything works as expected! I never
knew that this directory is something even a new emacs build with `-Q`
can use. Something new to learn!

But on the other hand, is this an expected behavior? Even though my
problem is solved, I'd like to learn for what reason this happens.

Thank you again, consider this bug report as solved.

Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]> writes:

> Just wild guessing: In theory I think this could happen even with emacs
> -Q when something in your `package-user-dir' is broken.  You might want
> to try to rename that directory temporarily or redefine the variable to
> point to some empty directory.  Or maybe just try with a different Linux
> user (maybe a newly created test account).
>
> If this does not reveal something new: Can you then maybe provide an
> Elisp backtrace please (after loading the source file "package.el")?
>
> TIA,
>
> Michael.