Subject: bug#69689: 30.0.50; cannot native compile with -flto in native-comp-compiler-options

From: Andrea Corallo <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2024 13:02:22 -0400

Paul Eggert <[email-masked]> writes:

> On 3/11/24 06:38, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>
>> configure.ac says "experimental", so I guess it's not yet reliable
>> enough?
>
> It was added by Dmitry Antipov in 2012. I never use it, and didn't
> even recall it until I looked at configure.ac recently.
>
> I've not have good luck with -lto elsewhere. It can make linking slow
> and it tends to expose compiler bugs. Unless someone's using it
> regularly I would consider it experimental.

Also as a note.

I doubt using native compilation with LTO could bring measurable
advantages.

All the Emacs C primitives we call from elns have a function pointer
indirection as they can be redefined, so GCC can't inline them.  Few
support functions are called directly but I would be surprised of any
measurable effect there.

Best Regards

  Andrea