Subject: bug#69684: closed (Re: bug#69684: Functionality of Fbare_symbol has been lost.)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 01 Mar 2025 03:15:02 +0000

Your bug report

#69684: Functionality of Fbare_symbol has been lost.

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
69684: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=69684
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#69684: Functionality of Fbare_symbol has been lost.
From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
To: Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]>
Cc: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>, Paul Eggert <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2025 19:13:55 -0800
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]> writes:

>> As penance I installed the attached, which makes a simple code change
>> along the lines that you suggested and adds a regression test to help
>> prevent this bug from happening again.
>
> Thanks!

It seems like this issue was resolved, so I'm closing this bug report.

Subject: Functionality of Fbare_symbol has been lost.
From: Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2024 23:23:50 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello Paul, hello Emacs.

Since a recent commit, Fbare_symbol (in src/data.c) no longer works on a
symbol with position when symbols-with-pos-enabled is nil, instead
signalling an error.

This is due to the new CHECK_SYMBOL (sym); statement in Fbare_symbol,
which wasn't there before.

Since I merged master into my development branch, I can no longer build
it because of this change.  A rapid reversion to the previous
functionality would be appreciated.  :-)

Thanks!

-- 
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).