Subject: Re: [PATCH gnome-team 1/1] gnu: opam: Fix build.

From: Liliana Marie Prikler <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 09 Mar 2024 21:35:43 +0100

Hi Vivien,

Am Samstag, dem 09.03.2024 um 20:39 +0100 schrieb Vivien Kraus:
> My guess is that we have 2 ocaml libraries implementing Base64
> (ocaml-base64 and ocaml-extlib, propagated from ocaml-dose3). Dune
> sees that we have a powerful ocaml-base64 installed, so it lays out
> the compatibility version 6 for us, but when it comes to actually
> building the project, ocamlfind prioritizes the ocaml-extlib path by
> adding it first, and it shadows our powerful ocaml-base64
> implementation.
> 
> With this new extlib actor in the plot, I could search better.  It
> seems like Opam is aware of the issue:
> 
> https://github.com/ocaml/opam/issues/5694
> 
> The solution seems to be for extlib to ship a minimal version. But
> maybe this should primarily concern the ocaml team, not gnome-team,
> as it looks to me like a recipe for breaking at least half of the
> ocaml ecosystem.
How much of it is broken with gnome-team already (vs. broken on other
branches)?  It wouldn't be nice of us to say "here, we broke it, you
fix it please".  It also appears as though opam only has two dependants
– are we not tracking this correctly or is a minimal version in use
anyway?

Cheers