Subject: bug#69662: 30.0.50; PGTK Window system supports drag-and-drop but doesn't define x-begin-drag

From: Po Lu <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2024 21:52:25 +0800

Björn Bidar <[email-masked]> writes:

> I also wonder why does it not work in Emacs while other GTK applications
> don't have the same issue?

Our standards are higher than those of other applications, because of
the detailed control our drag-and-drop primitives afford to Lisp.  To
achieve this, we expect GTK to meet the perfectly reasonable standard
that certain functions must function in the manner detailed by their
documentation, yet the GDK Wayland backend implements them only to the
degree of completeness required by GTK's useless drag-and-drop
abstraction, again demonstrating utter disregard for programs not
privileged enough to receive its developers' tireless attentions.

Asking for a fix is an exercise in futility; whenever they are
approached to this effect, their attitude alternates between being
dismissive and being confrontational, but never admitting that they
might be at fault.  E.g. consider the recent fiasco over font hinting,
where they continued to insist on their faultlessness despite making a
release to address what was otherwise universally seen as an issue.

> There must be ways around the issue.

It's only that I'm not volunteering to find them with a band of
unrepentant megalomaniacs waiting to frustrate me at every stage of the
process.  Patches welcome, as always, and thanks in advance.