Subject: bug#6963: More usecases, patch attached

From: Juanma Barranquero <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 03:52:22 +0200

On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 16:42, Juanma Barranquero <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Yes, it makes sense, because after -error the client's process is
> deleted, so emacsclient exits immediately.

Hmm.

There are two cases:

1) The emacs server sends -error XXX, and closes the connection.
emacsclient prints the error and exits.
2) The emacs server sends an unknown command; emacsclient prints an
error and continues.

With your patch, the case 2) would return EXIT_FAILURE (or the new
exit code we discussed) even if subsequent commands are dealt with
correctly.

IIRC, receiving an unknown command from Emacs shouldn't be a fatal
error; it can happen if you use an older emacsclient to connect to a
more recent server.el with new functionality. Or should it?

Comments anyone?

    Juanma