Subject: bug#69627: 30.0.50; [PATCH] Allow 'browse-url-interactive-arg' to return the actual prefix arg

From: Jim Porter <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2024 22:04:39 -0800

By default this shouldn't do anything different from before. However, 
with this patch, functions for 'browse-url-browser-function' can look at 
the argument (as modified by 'browse-url-new-window-flag') and do 
something special. For example, with this patch, I have a custom browser 
function that works like this:

   M-x browse-url      Open in Firefox
   C-u M-x browse-url  Open in EWW
   C-- M-x browse-url  Open in Firefox Private Browsing

From cae6d59d30d2082aba1899a1d34d1ee109f07c8d Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
From: Jim Porter <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2024 21:55:45 -0800
Subject: [PATCH] Let 'browse-url-interactive-arg' return more values for
 NEW-WINDOW-FLAG

Previously it always returned t or nil for NEW-WINDOW-FLAG, but now it
can return the actual prefix arg when appropriate.  This lets functions
for 'browse-url-browser-function' consult it and do more things than
just open a new window or not (for example, you could use "C--" as the
prefix arg to do something special in a custom function).

* lisp/net/browse-url.el (browse-url-interactive-arg):
---
 lisp/net/browse-url.el | 3 +--
 1 file changed, 1 insertion(+), 2 deletions(-)

diff --git a/lisp/net/browse-url.el b/lisp/net/browse-url.el
index ddc57724343..a04b87827e3 100644
--- a/lisp/net/browse-url.el
+++ b/lisp/net/browse-url.el
@@ -715,8 +715,7 @@ browse-url-interactive-arg
 				      (buffer-substring-no-properties
 				       (region-beginning) (region-end))))
 				(browse-url-url-at-point)))
-	(not (eq (null browse-url-new-window-flag)
-		 (null current-prefix-arg)))))
+	(xor browse-url-new-window-flag current-prefix-arg)))
 
 ;; called-interactive-p needs to be called at a function's top-level, hence
 ;; this macro.  We use that rather than interactive-p because
-- 
2.25.1