Subject: bug#6961: Emacs hangs when scrolling using gnus-summary-next-page on pages with images

From: Antoine Levitt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 03 Oct 2010 22:11:29 +0200

Nope, still hangs with latest bzr. Also, it seems there's a (require
'browse-url) that's missing somewhere (it complains whenever I open a
news, and evaling the require makes it go away).

That's without imagemagick, I couldn't figure out how to enable it (it
says "no" in configure, although I've got the lib installed, and
--with-imagemagick doesn't change anything).

Antoine
30/09/10 23:42, Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
> Antoine Levitt <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> I'm using gnus with the new gwene service to read RSS, in particular
>> webcomics. I've had emacs hang in a particularly bad way when scrolling
>> pages: consuming 100% of CPU and becoming unresponsive.
>>
>> This bug should be reproducible with any large images. I tested it with
>> gwene.com.phdcomics and gwene.fr.lemonde.blog.vidberg.
>>
>> I'm using (not 100% sure which are relevant)
>> (setq mm-inline-text-html-with-images t)
>> (setq mm-attachment-override-types '("image/.*"))
>> (setq w3m-default-display-inline-images t)
>> (setq w3m-toggle-inline-images-permanently nil)
>
> In the latest Gnus/Emacs with the new HTML rendering code, this should
> no longer be a problem.  And if your Emacs 24 is built with imagemagick
> support. images will be scaled down to 90% of the window size, which
> fixes some of the scrolling issues.