Subject: bug#69598: closed (Re: bug#69598: 29.2; colour support based on $TERM value not terminfo database)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2024 08:35:02 +0000

Your bug report

#69598: 29.2; colour support based on $TERM value not terminfo database

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
69598: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=69598
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#69598: 29.2; colour support based on $TERM value not terminfo database
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2024 10:33:17 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> Cc: [email-masked]
> Date: Sat, 09 Mar 2024 09:18:51 +0200
> From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
> 
> > From: [email-masked]
> > cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
> > Comments: In-reply-to Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
> >    message dated "Fri, 08 Mar 2024 21:50:01 +0200."
> > Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2024 21:13:27 +0000
> > 
> > I should be clear that I'm not trying to get something fixed --- I
> > don't have a problem here. I can get along just fine but in my
> > travels I discovered that emacs did not work as I expected and, on
> > investigation, as it described itself and so I thought that GNU
> > would like know that their flagship product and/or its documentation
> > was deficient.
> > 
> > I have provided more information at your request which I hope you
> > find useful but I have no need or desire to pursue this matter.
> 
> Thank you for your inputs.  You may wish reading the file
> lisp/term/README, which attempts to explain this and other related
> stuff.  Sorry I didn't remember we had this file and didn't point you
> to it in the first place.

No further comments within 2 weeks, so I'm now closing this bug.

Subject: 29.2; colour support based on $TERM value not terminfo database
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Jeremie Courreges-Anglas <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2024 23:01:46 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

(CC'd OpenBSD maintainer in case it's a packaging issue somehow)

Emacs with direct colour works only if $TERM is set to xterm-direct.
Even if $TERM refers to a terminfo entry that is identical (confirmed
by infocmp):

        turtle-direct|Test Emacs,use=xterm-direct,

Within xterm, if TERM is set to turtle-direct and emacs launched with
-nw, list-colors-display only lists 8 colours.

I am on OpenBSD -current as of a day or so ago.

I haven't tested any other values of $TERM and don't know of any
with direct colour support anyway.

--- auto report below

In GNU Emacs 29.2 (build 1, x86_64-unknown-openbsd, GTK+ Version
 3.24.41, cairo version 1.18.0) of 2024-03-04 built on
 amd64.ports.openbsd.org
System Description: OpenBSD llama.datum 7.5 GENERIC.MP#54 amd64

Configured using:
 'configure --build=amd64-unknown-openbsd --without-sound
 --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --prefix=/usr/local --sysconfdir=/etc
 --mandir=/usr/local/man --infodir=/usr/local/info --localstatedir=/var
 --disable-silent-rules --disable-gtk-doc 'CFLAGS=-O2 -pipe -g'
 CPPFLAGS=-I/usr/local/include 'LDFLAGS=-L/usr/local/lib -g''

Configured features:
CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON
LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NOTIFY KQUEUE PDUMPER PNG RSVG
SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER WEBP X11 XDBE XIM
XINPUT2 XPM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: C.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  windmove-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media puny rfc822
mml mml-sec epa epg rfc6068 epg-config gnus-util mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail
rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils tabify macros
cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine
cc-vars cc-defs cua-base align tmm text-property-search sh-script smie
treesit executable dired-aux dired dired-loaddefs misearch multi-isearch
conf-mode vc-git diff-mode vc-dispatcher cperl-mode facemenu term/screen
term/xterm xterm tramp tramp-loaddefs trampver tramp-integration files-x
tramp-compat rx parse-time iso8601 time-date format-spec evil
evil-keybindings evil-integration evil-maps evil-commands ffap url-parse
auth-source eieio eieio-core password-cache json map byte-opt bytecomp
byte-compile url-vars reveal flyspell ispell evil-jumps
evil-command-window evil-search evil-ex shell subr-x pcomplete comint
ansi-osc ansi-color evil-types evil-macros evil-repeat evil-states
evil-core evil-common windmove calc calc-loaddefs calc-macs thingatpt
rect evil-digraphs evil-vars ring edmacro kmacro undo-tree derived
easy-mmode cl-extra help-mode cl-seq cl-macs gv diff cl-loaddefs cl-lib
advice rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register
page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors
frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic indonesian philippine
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure
cl-preloaded button loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp
files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote
threads dbusbind kqueue lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting cairo move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit xinput2 x multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 320087 46442)
 (symbols 48 18980 1)
 (strings 32 53946 2567)
 (string-bytes 1 1782815)
 (vectors 16 31174)
 (vector-slots 8 1018498 154632)
 (floats 8 64 251)
 (intervals 56 7633 2000)
 (buffers 984 37))