Subject: 29.2; colour support based on $TERM value not terminfo database

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2024 23:01:46 +0000

(CC'd OpenBSD maintainer in case it's a packaging issue somehow)

Emacs with direct colour works only if $TERM is set to xterm-direct.
Even if $TERM refers to a terminfo entry that is identical (confirmed
by infocmp):

        turtle-direct|Test Emacs,use=xterm-direct,

Within xterm, if TERM is set to turtle-direct and emacs launched with
-nw, list-colors-display only lists 8 colours.

I am on OpenBSD -current as of a day or so ago.

I haven't tested any other values of $TERM and don't know of any
with direct colour support anyway.

--- auto report below

In GNU Emacs 29.2 (build 1, x86_64-unknown-openbsd, GTK+ Version
 3.24.41, cairo version 1.18.0) of 2024-03-04 built on
 amd64.ports.openbsd.org
System Description: OpenBSD llama.datum 7.5 GENERIC.MP#54 amd64

Configured using:
 'configure --build=amd64-unknown-openbsd --without-sound
 --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --prefix=/usr/local --sysconfdir=/etc
 --mandir=/usr/local/man --infodir=/usr/local/info --localstatedir=/var
 --disable-silent-rules --disable-gtk-doc 'CFLAGS=-O2 -pipe -g'
 CPPFLAGS=-I/usr/local/include 'LDFLAGS=-L/usr/local/lib -g''

Configured features:
CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON
LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NOTIFY KQUEUE PDUMPER PNG RSVG
SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER WEBP X11 XDBE XIM
XINPUT2 XPM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: C.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  windmove-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media puny rfc822
mml mml-sec epa epg rfc6068 epg-config gnus-util mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail
rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils tabify macros
cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine
cc-vars cc-defs cua-base align tmm text-property-search sh-script smie
treesit executable dired-aux dired dired-loaddefs misearch multi-isearch
conf-mode vc-git diff-mode vc-dispatcher cperl-mode facemenu term/screen
term/xterm xterm tramp tramp-loaddefs trampver tramp-integration files-x
tramp-compat rx parse-time iso8601 time-date format-spec evil
evil-keybindings evil-integration evil-maps evil-commands ffap url-parse
auth-source eieio eieio-core password-cache json map byte-opt bytecomp
byte-compile url-vars reveal flyspell ispell evil-jumps
evil-command-window evil-search evil-ex shell subr-x pcomplete comint
ansi-osc ansi-color evil-types evil-macros evil-repeat evil-states
evil-core evil-common windmove calc calc-loaddefs calc-macs thingatpt
rect evil-digraphs evil-vars ring edmacro kmacro undo-tree derived
easy-mmode cl-extra help-mode cl-seq cl-macs gv diff cl-loaddefs cl-lib
advice rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register
page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors
frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic indonesian philippine
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure
cl-preloaded button loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp
files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote
threads dbusbind kqueue lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting cairo move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit xinput2 x multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 320087 46442)
 (symbols 48 18980 1)
 (strings 32 53946 2567)
 (string-bytes 1 1782815)
 (vectors 16 31174)
 (vector-slots 8 1018498 154632)
 (floats 8 64 251)
 (intervals 56 7633 2000)
 (buffers 984 37))