Subject: bug#69561: 30.0.50; Freeze from M-x gnus on macOS

From: Gerd Möllmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Mar 2024 18:54:43 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> From: Gerd Möllmann <[email-masked]>
>> Cc: [email-masked]
>> Date: Tue, 05 Mar 2024 17:38:14 +0100
>> 
>> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
>> 
>> > But wait: epg-wait-for-status seems to wait for one or more processes
>> > to exit.  So what is the status of the process for which it waits?  Is
>> > it running, or did it perhaps already exit?
>> 
>> I could see gpg running in Activity Monitor.
>
> "Running" as in "consuming CPU", or just didn't exit yet?

Sorry, I don't know. I just saw gpg in the list.

> Maybe you should attach a debugger to gpg and try to understand what
> is it doing and why it doesn't exit?
>
>> I'm currently trying to bisect when this problem started. I can't force
>> the freeze to happen, but I hope that surviving a day or two can be
>> counted as a good version, when it freezes at leasst once a day with
>> master. Maybe I can find the culprit that way.
>
> Could be.  But if you could establish why gpg isn't exiting, you could
> perhaps make progress faster.

Maybe, but the bisecting has at least the davantage that I can do what I
really wanted to, and just wait for Emacs to eventually freeze or not.
And the builds in between can also run unattended. TRT for a lazy old
lad ;-).