Subject: bug#6956: 24.0.50; pasting mouse selection in other session pastes only first word

From: David De La Harpe Golden <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 04 Sep 2010 18:06:00 +0100

On 04/09/10 09:35, Jan Djärv wrote:
>
>
> Eli Zaretskii skrev 2010-09-04 09.18:
>>> Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2010 17:38:31 +0300
>>> From: Eli Zaretskii<[email-masked]>
>>> Cc: [email-masked]
>>
>> Ping!
>>
>> I really need feedback for this, even if the feedback is that this is
>> specific to MS-Windows and should therefore be fixed by Windows-specific
>> changes.
>>
>> (FWIW, I think the problem is common to Windows and X alike.)
>
> It is the same in X and NS, i.e. extending with mouse-3 does not put the
> region in the kill ring when mouse-drag-copy-region is t.
>

Perhaps making mouse-save-then-kill respect mouse-drag-copy-region would 
be best.

Various people may or may not recall that I did originally propose a 
separate (and horribly named) customisation 
"mouse-save-then-kill-copy-region" [1] for this reason*.

I can't now really imagine a situation where you'd want 
mouse-drag-copy-region nil and the "mouse-save-then-kill-copy-region" t 
or vice versa, you'd always want either both nil or both t**.

[1] http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2008-02/msg01018.html

(* I also munged in a ":double" setting, that made clipboard-interacting 
operations took one more click than usual - i.e. the first click only 
adjusted primary, but double and triple clicking acted like single and 
double clicking used to)

(** or with ":double" functionality , either both nil, m-d-c-r 
nil/m-s-t-k-c-r :double, or both t)