Subject: Re: bug#6956: 24.0.50; pasting mouse selection in other session pastes only first word

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2010 23:53:04 +0200

> From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
> Cc: <[email-masked]>
> Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2010 14:41:07 -0700
> 
> No, it does not now work exactly as it did in Emacs 23.
> 
> Even setting `mouse-drag-copy-region' to nil in two sessions of `emacs -Q', one
> for Emacs 22 and the other for Emacs 23 (for example), there is still no problem
> selecting with the mouse and pasting into the other session. 

Emacs 24 did change the default behavior, so in Emacs 24, you _must_
set mouse-drag-copy-region non-nil to get the pre-Emacs 24 behavior.

If you can point out what is different in the behavior of Emacs 24
_after_ setting mouse-drag-copy-region wrt double-clicking mouse-1,
please do.  Otherwise, this bug is done.

> > > What's needed is here is the ability to mouse-select in one 
> > > Emacs session and paste to another Emacs session, even if
> > > they are in different Emacs versions.
> > > That needs to be possible (and it should also be the 
> > > default behavior BTW) without users also needing to pollute
> > > their kill ring with the selection.

It wasn't possible to do this in Emacs 23 without "polluting the kill
ring", AFAICS.  In Emacs 23, double-clicking mouse-1 would copy the
text to the kill ring even if mouse-drag-copy-region was nil.  If you
know otherwise, please show how to achieve that (in Emacs 23).

> Users need to be able to get back the pre-Emacs 24 behavior by customizing - no
> ifs ands  or buts.

They can -- by customizing mouse-drag-copy-region.  No ifs or buts.

> They need to be able to get this select+paste independently of
> whether mouse selection is copied to the kill ring.

Since this wasn't possible in Emacs 23, you are in effect asking for a
new feature.  The old behavior is completely restored by customizing
mouse-drag-copy-region; after that Emacs behaves on Windows in a way
that is 100% compatible with what it did in Emacs 23 and before.  If
you can show the difference in behavior, please do.  The fact that a
variable needs to be customized is not in itself a change in behavior.