Subject: [PATCH] build-system: cmake: Build tests depending on `#:tests?`.

From: Hartmut Goebel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2024 22:48:51 +0100

* guix/build/cmake-build-system.scm (configure): New paremeter `#:tests?`.
  Add cmake option "-DBUILD_TESTING=" with value "ON" or "OFF" depending
  on build-system argument `#:tests?`.
* * doc/guix.texi (Inspecting Services)[cmake-build-system]: Document it.
---
 doc/guix.texi                     | 10 ++++++++++
 guix/build/cmake-build-system.scm |  7 ++++++-
 2 files changed, 16 insertions(+), 1 deletion(-)

diff --git a/doc/guix.texi b/doc/guix.texi
index 87fe9f803c..409d076d12 100644
--- a/doc/guix.texi
+++ b/doc/guix.texi
@@ -9617,6 +9617,16 @@ parameter specifies in abstract terms the flags passed to the compiler;
 it defaults to @code{"RelWithDebInfo"} (short for ``release mode with
 debugging information''), which roughly means that code is compiled with
 @code{-O2 -g}, as is the case for Autoconf-based packages by default.
+
+Depending on the @code{#:tests?} parameter, the configure-flag
+@code{BUILD_TESTING} is set to @code{ON} resp. @code{OFF}.
+@code{BUILD_TESTING} is a
+@url{https://cmake.org/cmake/help/v3.28/module/CTest.html, standard
+defined by CMake} to enable or disable building tests.  This aims to
+save build time if tests are not run anyway, while trying to ensure
+tests are build if they should be run.  Anyhow, the CMakeLists.txt needs
+to implement handling this flag.
+
 @end defvar
 
 @defvar composer-build-system
diff --git a/guix/build/cmake-build-system.scm b/guix/build/cmake-build-system.scm
index d1ff5071be..71e8ca8a83 100644
--- a/guix/build/cmake-build-system.scm
+++ b/guix/build/cmake-build-system.scm
@@ -33,7 +33,7 @@ (define-module (guix build cmake-build-system)
 ;; Code:
 
 (define* (configure #:key outputs (configure-flags '()) (out-of-source? #t)
-                    build-type target
+                    (tests? #t) build-type target
                     #:allow-other-keys)
   "Configure the given package."
   (let* ((out        (assoc-ref outputs "out"))
@@ -62,6 +62,11 @@ (define* (configure #:key outputs (configure-flags '()) (out-of-source? #t)
                   ,(string-append "-DCMAKE_INSTALL_RPATH=" out "/lib")
                   ;; enable verbose output from builds
                   "-DCMAKE_VERBOSE_MAKEFILE=ON"
+                  ;; ask for (not) building tests depending on #:tests?
+                  ;; (CMakeLists.txt may or may not implement this check)
+                  ,@(if tests?
+                        '("-DBUILD_TESTING=OFF") ; not run anyway
+                        '("-DBUILD_TESTING=ON")) ; overwrite any default option
 
                   ;;  Cross-build
                   ,@(if target

base-commit: 3da49b1472919a62df1fe399638f23a246aa325d
-- 
2.41.0