Subject: [bug#69552] [PATCH vREVISION 1/2] gnu: Add cyclone-bootstrap.

From: Christopher Baines <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2024 12:45:03 +0000

TakeV <[email-masked]> writes:

> On 3/13/24 08:12, Christopher Baines wrote:
>
>> tags 69552 + moreinfo
>> user guix
>> usertag 69552 - reviewed-looks-good
>> quit
>>
>> TakeV via Guix-patches via <[email-masked]> writes:
>> I've had a look at this and I'm concerned about the bootstrapping
>> approach. If you look at cyclone.c, I'm pretty sure that's not the
>> preferred form for editing and it doesn't look like that from the
>> commits.
>>
>> Maybe there are things already in Guix that are similarly bad, but I
>> don't think that alone is sufficient to include more.
>
> Do you mean the package is wrong, or cyclone itself is not going about
> it the correct way? The instructions for building from source specify
> that this is the intended way of handling it.

It's not that cyclone is going about it in an incorrect way, just that
the approach used doesn't match up with Guix's requirement to build from
source (which is the prefered form for modification) in all but
exceptional cases.

Contrast this with Guile for example [1], rather than using some
generated C file for bootstrapping, it uses a Scheme interpreter
implemented in C.

1: https://bootstrappable.org/best-practices.html