Subject: bug#69525: 30.0.50; MacOS: New warnings on stderr

From: Gerd Möllmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2024 05:56:30 +0200

Alan Third <[email-masked]> writes:

>> I find Apple's documentation of the protocol pretty bad, to say the
>> least, and examples seem to be lacking completely. Don't know if I can
>> pull that off.
>
> Yeah, I was trying to work out what the actual differences are between
> them and I suspect they're fairly minimal, but I don't know how we
> should handle insertText:replacementRange: vs the current insertText:,
> for example.
>
> The new one takes a range and the old one doesn't. IMO it's none of
> the window system's business where we insert the text, so do we just
> ignore it? That might cause issues if we're dealing with the language
> input stuff, so we might need to fiddle with that a bit (it was mostly
> contributed by someone who actually used it).
>
> I would agree that Apple's documentation is abysmal. AFAICT most new
> features are exclusively documented in WWDC talks, so if you're not
> immersed in the Apple eco-system it can be very hard to keep track of
> what's changed. I assume that's some sort of marketing ploy.

Yeah, could be. Although I wonder what advantage they expect from making
such stuff effectively a secret :-/.

BTW, I found a github repo with lots of Cocoa samples which might be of
help at some point. This one is about NSTextInputClient, it seems:

  https://github.com/HelmutJ/CocoaSampleCode/tree/master/TextInputView

I've read it, but without any further background I find it hard to
understand. Maybe it's helpful for you, though. It does do something
with these ranges, for example.